Sunday, June 15, 2008

On my way.

On My Way Ft. Talib Kweli (Prod. Hi-Tek) - Vinia Mojica

This is my first blog. I've never been one to keep a journal or a blog because I just prefer to tell people what's going on in my life and my thoughts in person. But since I'm going to be away for 6 weeks in the Philippines, I figure this will be a good way for you all to see what's happening in my trip and after, since I just might blogging to be pretty useful after all.

Philippines
My Mom and I tried to get on the flight to Hong Kong today but it didn't work out. Since she works for United at SFO, we get flight benefits. We pretty much fly for free, but we fly standby, meaning we get whatever seats are leftover on the plane. Since the flight was full today it was a no go. We'll try again tomorrow so hopefully we'll get on.

This is my first trip to the Philippines. From Tuesday (hopefully), through Saturday the 21st I'll be with my Mom visiting family in Pampanga. After that I'll be going on to Manila for a 3 week internship with Charity First. That will be from Sunday the 22nd to Saturday July 12. I'll be working with this organization in its initiatives to address poverty through education, social services, and employment. I don't know fully what to expect yet so I'll continue to update you all. I'll be visiting communities in the Payatas garbage dumps, Caloocan City, Manila, Cebu, Makati, and Quezon City. from the June 22- July 2nd, I'll be staying with a host family in Makati, and from July 3- July 12 I'll be staying with another host family in Quezon City. After that I'll be going around with Mary Ann to Pampanga, Bacolod, Cavite, Victorias, and Cebu. Then I'll try to get back on the flight on July 24th.

My whole live I've lived around Filipinos, I've just never actually been to the Philippines. I know bits of Kapampangan from my family and my mom, but not enough to speak or understand really. I know a bit of Tagalog from taking 1A and 1B with Ginang G, and from working at FEC. I can only guess the impending culture shock I'm going to go through. I'm scared, but I'm also excited. After 21 years, I'm going to the homeland for the first time and I'm probably going to feel like a tourist. I always try to keep an open mind with things and that's just what I'm going to do. I just want to learn as much as possible. Ultimately I know this is going to be an amazing experience and that I'm going to enjoy it.

I'll miss all you folks back in the the Bay and in the States. I'm bringing my laptop with me since I gotta do work for the organization though, so you can hit me up on facebook/aim/etc. when I have the time. I'll continue to update you all. If you have any traveling recommendations for me as well let me know. Hope you all are having a good summer, and I will see you in 6 weeks.

Peace.

No comments: