Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Moving On

Tomorrow is the last day of my internship, for which I have to do a final presentation on the work I've done. The past two weeks have been a good experience, difficult at times though. Its not so much the work that's been difficult, but rather the lack of familiar things and people, particularly my family. In the past week, I've -white water rafter in Cagayan De Oro, and did sightseeing
-visited public schools and universities (where classes are held 60-80 students to a room, or basketball court)
-visited more people living in a garbage dump
-visited a street child who lives in a home the size of a closet
-assisted in a dental mission where i held kid's jaws while the dentist extracted their teeth with dental pliers

ive truly enjoyed the work that i've been doing and the people ive met. most people here have been extremeley welcoming, nice, and generous. however there are still people and situations here that have made me feel as i don't belong, whether its staring at me because i look different, or pointing out every bit of my "american-ness." i've never had my identity questioned so much, and i feel like i've constantly had to defend my "filipino-ness" and pride for my culture. anyways, im enjoyed my work, and the people i've worked with that have made me feel welcome, and those i've been able to exchange ideas with. particularly, i will remember my conversation with Brother Efren, one of Charity First's staff who lives in the impoverished villages it serves. its particularly been these people living in the impoverished communities i've worked in that have been the most welcoming and generous. Brother Efren and I were basically talking about why were doing the work that we're doing and the importance of filipinos all over the world to be able to work together and understand each other (cheesy, di ba?) at the end of the conversation he told me,

"you truly are filipino."
Brother Efren and I on the way back from Payatas

that was the first time anyone said something like that to me since i've been here, and genuinely meant it. i think that conversation will be one of my highlights for this internship and this whole trip. anyways, im excited to finish my internship tomorrow. i'll be relaxing and hanging out with folks in manila til i go back to pampanga with family this saturday. i'm looking foward to kicking it with jude. after that, sightseeing with mary ann. i miss seeing familiar faces. i still miss my friends, my squirrelly, and my family. i hope u all are well back in the states. please keep in touch and let me know what's going on. i'll post up more pics and i'll see you guys soon.

peace and love,
case

2 comments:

Jessica said...

heyyy case! glad to know you're doing well. come visit when you're back in the bay. :) <3 jessica

jeremydenieva said...

hey casey!

sounds like you had a blast. i wish i had time to go to the PI. let's kick it when you get back?

miss you! =)